WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congresswoman Lisa McClain (R-MI) announced several of the amendments she submitted were adopted on a bipartisan basis during the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) markup Thursday morning.
“The NDAA ensures our military has the proper funding it needs to continue to keep our country safe. I’m thrilled we passed an amendment, in a bipartisan fashion, to increase funding for the Department of Defense, so our servicemen and women have the tools to protect our nation.” said Rep. McClain. “Several amendments that I introduced were also passed during the markup, including paving the way for a new ice breaker in St. Clair County and modernizing the A-10 fleet at Selfridge. I look forward to voting to pass this crucial legislation on the House floor in the near future.”
Rep. McClain’s amendments include the following:
Amendments included in en bloc packages:
- #1041, McClain- Support for Taiwan engagement
- Requires Sec. of Defense to submit a report to the House Armed Services Committee on DoD’s plan to meaningfully engage with Taiwan in regional security dialogues and forums.
- #1088, McClain- Prohibition on sale of genetic testing kits
- Highlights the risk of direct-to-consumer genetic testing kit results falling into the hands of our adversaries, such as the Chinese Communist Party
- Requires the Sec. of Defense to submit a report to Congress on efforts being taken at the DoD to educate and inform service-members on the personal and professional security risks of direct-to-consumer genetic testing and any policy guidance provided to the joint force on the security concerns posed by consumer genetic testing of military service members.
- #1119, McClain- Iran’s support Bashar al-Assad’s regime
- Requires the Sec. of Defense to submit a report to Congress on the material support Iran has given to Assad and the role this support may have played in the loss of American or coalition forces’ lives.
- #1130, McClain- Iran’s support for human rights abusers
- Requires the Sec. of Defense to submit a report to Congress on the material support Iran has given to militant groups that violate human rights
- #1290, McClain- Location of new National Cemetery
- Directs the Sec. of Defense, in coordination with the Sec. of Veterans Affairs, to report to Congress on potential locations for a new national cemetery due to changes in burial eligibility requirements at Arlington National Cemetery.
- #1372, McClain- Vehicle Cyber Security Research Center
- Directs the Commander of Army Futures Command to brief the House Armed Services Committee on the feasibility of establishing a research center that focuses on cyber security development for U.S. military vehicles.
- #1382, McClain- Iran’s support for Taliban
- Requires the Sec. of Defense to submit a report to Congress on the material support Iran has given to the Taliban in Afghanistan, and the role this support may have played in the loss of American or coalition forces’ lives.
- #1395, McClain- US Coast Guard ice breakers in Great Lakes
- Requires the Sec. of Defense to submit a report to Congress on the need for additional ice breaking vessels in the Great Lakes region.
- The report requires an analysis focusing specifically on the St. Clair River.
- #1409, McClain- Armor Systems Modernization & Advanced Development
- Adds additional resources for ground vehicle modeling and simulation research and development.
- #1414, McClain- Energy security for military installations
- Requires the Sec. of Defense to standardize construction polices/procedures for energy production projects across all military services to increase energy resiliency at U.S. military installations.
- #1415, McClain- A-10 Wing Replacement Program
- Directs the Sec. of the Air Force to brief the House Armed Services Committee on the timeline for completion of the modernization of the A-10 fleet in the USAF.
- #1501, McClain- Ban on material support for the Taliban
- Prohibits the Sec. of Defense from providing any funds or DoD resources to the Taliban
Submission included in Chairman’s mark:
- McClain also secured an increase in funding for the M1A2 Abrams tank modernization program.